Like most schools, my daughter’s primary school has a summer and a winter fair each year. These are run by the staff and pupils, and many of the stalls have items the pupils have crafted in school. By far the most popular stall is the ‘pot goody’ dice roll.
The children are all given a plastic pint pot and asked to ‘decorate it’ in a given theme and fill it with little gifts. It’s a great idea and there are some amazing creations every time. We always have some fun trying to think of something to make. The best one from each class wins a prize, and then all the ‘pots’ are prizes in the ‘pot goody’ dice roll game at the fair.
So this week, we have had to squeeze in making a ‘summer themed pot goody’. I decided to have a look through all our previous makes for some inspiration. Unfortunately, they have mostly been winter ones so far! It was fun looking through the pictures with my daughter, watching how she has grown up since her first year in nursery! We loved making this little snowman, I don’t know how she didn’t win this, maybe I should have worked harder on the carrot nose!
Next up was the summer, pirate theme! Now this was a difficult one.
It was fun making the face from paper plates and it’s such a great way of using up bits from the crafty stash box! I don’t think she won this one either, but it was fun making the pirate just the same.
The first was when she was in reception and the second was last Christmas. It’s great when she gets to make something fun and add as much embellishment as she wants.
This year’s theme of Summer conjured up lots of ideas between us, flowers, sunshine, bucket and spade, sandcastle, but we settled in the end for a bee!
We had to raid some of my crafty stash as well as the general box this time as painting wasn’t something we had a lot of time for this week. But I found some yellow washi tape and black ribbon for the bee body. We used some white funky foam for the wings and eyes and black pipe-cleaners for the antennae and mouth. We then went mad with papers cutting out flowers and leaves using punches and dies. We stuck them all onto a paper plate (coloured green), layering up some of the flowers and curling some petals to add dimension! We finished by sticking the bee on to the flowers and added a few small flowers onto the bee’s body. He’s (I’m pretty sure he’s a he bee) been filled with sweets and some pencils.
Having taken her bee to school this morning, she’s now waiting to see if she has won the prize this time. Fingers crossed! We should find out at the fair tomorrow.