These last few weeks I have been struggling with the whole lockdown. Tempers have been running short across the household and don’t get me started on homeschooling an eleven-year-old!
I have been trying to separate home and crafting where possible, but this is equally challenging due to having completely lost my dedicated crafting space. My husband is working from home and needed a quiet office space, so my craft room is now the office.
We have done a complete redecorate of the space and it has made a real difference. The whole room feels so much larger and calmer (I have to admit it was rather chaotic).
It was quite a fun project to do, involving removing old nursery furniture (it’s amazing how quickly it was removed from the drive), as well as stripping textured wallpaper and all the associated sanding, filling and painting. Whilst new plug sockets and painting were being completed by my husband, I’ve had the joy of sorting through all of my crafting materials and associated accumulations!
It’s all been plonked in the front room for what feels like weeks, while I work my way through it all. I didn’t quite realise how much stuff I have. It’s been quite interesting to see what’s been hidden in old cupboards and I might find the opportunity to use some things again in the coming weeks / months. I’m sure some things will come back into fashion – paper crimper anyone?
After the main papering and painting had been finished, we had a new carpet fitted – what a luxury – it’s over twelve years since we’ve had new flooring anywhere and this feels lovely underfoot. I was then set free with a geometric paint pattern above the picture rail. I did some practice with tester pots first, just to check it would work!
It took longer than I thought it would and it was very nerve-wracking hoping the paint hadn’t run under any of the masking tape. Plus the colour choice was different! It all looked pretty rubbish with the orange masking tape.
The unveiling when quite well, I think. There are a few little smudges but overall is looks OK to me (It certainly helps that it’s high up).
Since all the painting has been done, we had to wait for Ikea to open for the storage to finish everything off. We took inspiration for the room from an Ikea Kallax image on their site, so plumped for the Kallax storage solution My daughter had fun deciding on the box / door / shelf / drawer arrangement. It looks great now and there is a lot more space to move around in there now. I still haven’t managed to store everything in there and I’m not sure there is actually quite enough storage for all my bits and pieces – I certainly have more books and magazines than I thought!
Unfortunately, as lovely as the finished room is, there is little chance of me being able to make use of it as the husband is working from home for the foreseeable future. So I will have to continue to content myself with card-making at the kitchen table and knitting / crochet in front of the television in the evenings (for now).